Thursday, July 16, 2009

Housing in Singapore

It is not easy to live in Singapore, or at least to live good. I have to say, I'm not a low income earner, generating a stable income to support a family of 5 (including spouse and children). The family don't really spend much and we eat in most of the time. Yet, it seems that I'm not going to acquire my dream of a nice HDB apartment in an established estate unless I strike lottery.

I used to think, with proper planning for the future, and a little right investment, we will eventually purchase our dream apartment during my mid/late thirties. But housing these days are ridiculous, having to cost a minimum of half million to own a 5-Rm HDB flat. Even a small new 3-Rm apartment from HDB now cost a whopping S$300k. It can be done, but making such purchases would meant to have to reduce our family expenditure somewhere else. Less money for our weekly outings, cancel our yearly holidays and perhaps a definite eat-in in the future.

Frankly speaking, I can't imagine those with monthly income of just over S$1-2k. Yes, they would have to take the smaller flats, live outskirts and suffer the same fate of no outings, holidays and dinning in, but come to think of it, there will be other expenditures such as traveling etc and it the end, struggling to live, living to struggle.

Well. The above is just to make fuss about the housing in Singapore. In general (and frankly), it's the way of life now and the stronger survives better. Not only we now need to plan for the future, we need to ensure the plans work with better coverage of the unforeseen.

The way to go now seems to continue maximising the pot and keep a lookout for bargains. It really pays to save and invest wisely. So children, take this heed and advice. I wouldn't be able to leave much inheritance to you since there're three of you and only me to make a living for the family, so never count on me. But not to worry cos your grandpa didn't provide me much either and if I can survive and have you as my family, you should be fine too. Just live and enjoy your life to the fullest (within means), but with good planning for your future.

No comments:

Post a Comment